On 3/2/2018 1:48 PM, Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT wrote:
The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.

Actually, what we're describing here is the LACK of a Standard -- each company decided in isolation how to implement things like this. I serve on the Standards Committee of Audio Engineering Society, and we develop Standards by consensus, through a process that accepts engineering (and sometimes applications) input from anyone who wishes to participate. Many of our Standards took years to formulate.

The situation with ham gear is that, most likely for competitive reasons, each company developed their way of doing things on their own. This happens fairly often in the world of consumer products. Over a period of nearly 20 years, I rarely saw representatives of Japanese companies in Standards meetings, while US and EU companies and users are represented. Indeed, I mostly remember the Japanese companies presenting papers on their new developments.

73, Jim K9YC