Jim, I totally agree about the choice of bandwidth for RTTY, i.e. wider than
what one would first assume based on the frequency shift. The same surely
applies to PSK and WSJT modes too, although I haven't yet tried the latter. But
I don't think PSK31 with its tiny shift requires anything close to 500 Hz.
Maybe 150 Hz, which is a lot smaller than 2.5 kHz. When I wrote about using a
wide receiver, I was referring to SSB bandwidth for modes like PSK, which is
clearly non-optimal. Personally often find it helps to turn off AGC entirely,
even if the slow setting may minimize decoding problems caused by pumping AGC.
And, as Dave suggests (and I implied in my previous post) I crank down the K3
bandwidth to something related to the width of the signal I want to copy. The
purpose of that post of mine was not to suggest I have problems, but to point
out that some users of mainly PSK criticize use of high power based on limits
of their receiver's selectivity or limits of their understan
 ding of how/when to use it, and this leads to myths about higher power being
harmful. Again, I have no experience with FT8, but I made the assumption that
the discussion of high power for FT8 is mostly a repeat of the discussion of
high power for PSK. On the topic of digital myths, it seems many users of
digital modes look at a strong signal, see that it is visible over certain
frequency range, and judge it to be "broad" as in improperly modulated based on
that, even if the signal is properly modulated but just strong. I believe the
reason of such a mistake is that these modulation types (like also FM) do not
have a definite cutoff in bandwidth; it just tapers off. Which is another way
of showing that the filter needs to be wider than what would first be assumed.
However, as filter bandwidth is increased, the returns in copyability decline
rather quickly, while interference from other stations steadily increases. When
I get to trying FT8, I don't expect it to be very differe
 nt from PSK31 when it comes to the choice of power etc, but I may want at that
time to review advice given in this thread by you and others.

73,
Erik K7TV