I have had the same experience running FT8.

Buck, k4ia
Honor Roll
8BDXCC
EasyWayHamBooks.com

On 3/13/2018 5:46 PM, ab2tc wrote:
Hi all,

I have the same problem. Anytime I change something, like band, power or a
number of other things, power starts up ridiculously low and creeps *very*
slowly up to the 100W mark. Even without changing anything the actual peak
power on a transmission can be anywhere between 80 and 120W as indicated by
my LP-100A. I am not sure if this is a problem with K3S only. I still have
my old K3 but don't use it often enough to know if this is a K3S problem
only. I understand Elecraft's policy on not relying on a fast ALC to to
control power like most of the big three do (causing IMD), but really, does
it have to be this slow? This is on a fairly new K3S which has been back to
the factory twice to get the latest upgrades to the transmitter chain. My
experience is all SSB with 100W set for the power level.

AB2TC - Knut

Wes Stewart-2 wrote
This is an old subject but with a new wrinkle.  Although I'm observing a
drift
in power on all bands (and modes) after a band or power adjustment, it's
ridiculously slow on 17-meters.  It's taking 5-10 seconds to stabilize.

Any change, such as switching to another band and back again or a minor
change
in power starts the process over.  This is particularly annoying on RTTY
AFSK
A.  (Please no lectures on how Elecraft ALC is different from other
radios, I've
been running AFSK RTTY for 10 years with K3s.)  Using the KPA500 power
graph as
an expanded proxy for the K3S output power, I'm seeing a change from about
50
watts to 500 watts after an adjustment. On CW the first dit is about 100W.

I reran the power calibration and this appeared to fix it initially but
the
issue returned.  This was particularly annoying when I was running a
digital
mode and saw that I was hitting the amp harder than desired.  I tried
adjusting
power during the transmission and it practically dropped to zero before
slowly
climbing.  Getting a precise level is difficult.

Wes  N7WS

Post: mailto:

Elecraft@.qth

Message delivered to