I'm going to try to think like an op on a DXpedition, which is hard since I've never been one. I do know that what happens whenever I finish a QSO is an impenetrable wall of sound because there are at least 6 stations, all on that last frequency. Assume I'm operating split with VFO B locked on my transmit frequency. Particularly if I am using automation to send my "TU DX1STA UP" response, I could spend the time that message is being sent, tuning the receiver in my radio to pick a track on the waterfall in a far corner of the pileup. I can now start listening where I might hear something quickly and keep my rate up.

I do remember one of the big DXpeditions writing on their web site something to the effect of, "Just stay in one place. We'll find you." Of course, with low power and lots of strong stations nearer to the DX, that formula means a long slog.

73 Bill AE6JV