I am aware of that article and did reference the fact that some do not like
these requirements. The author does not suggest an alternative.

In the practice I have seen in the aerospace industry, there was not the
large amount of rework described. The emphasis was on using correct
processes to result in good solder joints the first time.

Lots of other specs we're used and massive process development occurs in
the manufacturing industry.

The drive to take manufacturing overseas is due to lots of factors besides
these specs.

In my case, I use a reflow oven with controlled processes to produce good
solder joints and only rework if it does not functioning, which is very
rare. Reworking lead free SMT solder joints by hand would never produce
ones as good as the reflow oven. Working with lead free solder by hand
basically sucks, but that is another discussion.

73,

Mark
W7MLG