Brian, thanks for that tip. I bought this K3 used, so I didn't put it
together. Will have to inspect to find out if pads are installed. The serial
# 2241 suggests to me that the pads might indeed be missing.

Recalibrating the wattmeter plus TX gain did not eliminate the problem of
the K3 powering down, and there is still a gap in obtainable output powers.
After recalibration (without the KPA500) the powers not obtainable on 80m
was anything between 12 and 16. I get the impression that this is normal
behavior. Not a problem for normal hamming, and only a minor annoyance when
using the rig as a variable power test instrument. Running the same
endurance test with power setting 12W on 20m did not seem to lead to the rig
shutting down, and the range of unobtainable output powers is actually
between 9 and 12. I attribute this to variations in wattmeter sensitivities
between 80m and 20m. Of course the wattmeter calibration is performed only
on the 20m band.

As I performed the wattmeter calibration today I ran into a complication
that I don't remember from last time I did this (over a year ago). Following
the manual instructions I set the power to 5.0W. (I did this using the power
knob; first I misread it to mean tweak the power setting to obtain a 5W
indication on the external wattmeter. The manual really should not be
ambiguous on this). I brought up the CONFIG:WMTR LP display as instructed. I
then held TUNE to start transmission, and was ready to adjust the main
tuning knob to get 5W on the external meter. However, the transmission did
not utilize the 5W PWR setting. Instead it used the TUN PWR setting, which
happened to be very different. To complete the procedure I had to go back
and adjust TUN PWR to 5W. I must be missing something here...

73,
Erik K7TV