I had a similar problem last year when setting up my KX3 which came from a
silent key with accesory bits missing.  I used a an old USB to RS232 adaptor,
sourced locally which turned out not to be running at proper RS232 voltage
levels but closer to TTL.

Different devices are more or less tolerant of variations in voltage levels.
Without a ‘scope it is hard to check the voltages, so substituting with another
borrowed known good lead might be a good way to go.

I am still missing the Morse Key and Hand Microphone which can’t be found :-(

John G7LTQ