I go for the Polyphaser approach. I have used and installed their PEEP system on multiple sites here in Thailand. High exposed sites with a lot of lightning. Notable over the 20 years since the first one was installed there is significantly higher equipment reliability of equipment at those sites and none of what were historically regarded as "typical regular failures".

The PEEP system tries to keep any surge energy outside the building. I'm a firm believer in not letting it inside any more than is absolutely unavoidable. In a lot of cases once it gets in the building it is highly unpredictable. Think 4 inch hole burned in pcb back plane, steel rack cabinet door and vapourised wall mounted fire bell.

The whole sites have very good protection systems designed primarily around FAA-019E standard, though I would agree with Polyphaser that some of what is contained in that standard is not always ideal. A lot of historical convention gets passed on unquestioned into some of these standards over the years it would seem.

Regards
Martin, HS0ZED