I am currently using two K3 radios with various updates including the new
synthesizers, and see no reason to go the the K3S model. Years ago I added the
second receiver to my original K3. I liked the diversity capability, but I am
not much of a DX'er and eventually got rid of the second receiver.

I went to the K3 from an FT-1000D, and found the K3 user interface very well
thought out. Not at all hard to learn with respect to the most needed controls,
although more obscure functions still have me looking in the manual. With that
said, and since we are discussing possible improvements, I can suggest the
following:

I immediately missed the lack of band and mode buttons. Not a big deal, but
still noticeable on a frequent basis after many years.

The 4 controls with dual green LED's have a flimsy, cheap feel. The combination
of multiple functions is perfect, but something used so often should feel super
solid and expensive.
My short term memory is bad, and I constantly find myself activating one of
these controls just to see the current power setting and cw speed etc.
Dedicated display real estate would be an improvement. I am ashamed to say that
I haven't looked closely at whether one can always display the current setting
witout changing it, but the reality as of right now is that I frequently go
through the motions of changing a setting just to get it displayed, and then
changing it back. This is a lot of wasted effort.

The pushbuttons can sometimes malfunction if one doesn't push hard enough, and
the dual functions (good idea in general) should be enough justification for
buttons with a "Rolls Royce feel". In some cases dedicated buttons would be
justified as opposed to the dual functions. I got the DVR option for one of the
radios and expected it to be used a lot for getting a second chance to copy
something deep in the noise during a contest. I actually never use it because I
am not consistent enough in achieving the HOLD of the button that is required,
especially in a busy situation. There were several reasons I sold the 2nd
receiver. Not involved in DX chasing, I didn't have enough need, and I didn't
have enough real estate to make the most of the diversity capability. For years
I didn't have much time to operate, and I often updated the K3 firmware just to
get on the air for a short period of time. This erased my settings to suppress
the birdies caused by the second receiver. Being a b
 it of a perfectionist, I would spend an hour entering new settings. Yes, most
of those birdies were weak enough that they didn't affect my ability to copy
any given signal, but when tuning around each birdie would cause me to pause
unnecessarigy for a fraction of a second. Yes, I could have spent some more
time than I did adjusting the cable positions inside the radio to minimize the
strength of the birdies, but I did spend time on it, and noone has told me that
that would eliminate them entirely. I would hope that the K4 will change
something fundamentally in the design so as to effect complete elimination of
the birdies. Last but not least, I was never comfortable with the user
interface for the second receiver. The status of it needs to be more visible
through dedicated display real estate.

Although one can argue for additions to the front panel controls and display
items, I would not want anything like the size of yakencom top-of-the-line
monsters. For one thing, I want my radios to be easily liftable. Something like
my old FT-1000D is a nightmare to lift. Also, too much front panel real estate
is a problem in SO2R operations, where you have to reach everything quickly. I
think most if not all of what I have asked for above could be achieved in a
front panel size matching that of the KPA1500. This would be a logical move for
Elecraft.  Since I have added P3's to both radios, I wouldn't consider being
without them. I doubt that a P3-size screen could fit in the KPA1500 size front
panel, but since the P3 takes up the space anyway within the reach of the SO2R
operator, I would be fine with the KPA1500-sized front panel lengthened by a P3
width. Surely, the combination of the two units would make possible some
improvements in panadapter controls and, additional use
 s for panadapter screen display items.

Although I mostly operate cw, I have recently been on 20 ssb a bit. I have
found that most ssb stations on 20 are effectively channelized. When manually
scanning the band I save a lot of time by using the RIT knob as a tuning knob
with 0.5 kHz steps. I sometimes wish that knob were bigger and with better
feel. The high resolution of the P3 display shows great differences between
different stations, and the visual differences often correlate with what one
hears. If a station has inadequate emphasis on the highs (or excessive lows),
that is easily seen. Also, some stations stand out for having clean smooth
flanks, while others have ragged flanks. IC-7300 stations seem to consistently
be in the clean-looking group, and sound a lot better than stations with muddy
flanks. I have not gotten a feel for where K3/K3S stations fall on the scale,
but notice that I haven't been getting a lot of compliments recently compared
to years ago. If indeed the K3/K3S should be a little behind at
 this time, I would guess it might show up visually on a good panadapter, and
that would reinforce any negative impression from the audio. Then of course the
muddy signals I see on the P3 may result mostly from overmodulating etc and not
necessarily from the equipment design. Anyway, I think many or most of the
panadapters that people have built into their radios are inferior to the P3,
and don't show much detail in an ssb signal.

73,
Erik K7TV