I know that many people love controlling everything from a PC, but that is for
me a don't-want, as I don't want the extra box to start up, and using a mouse
and keyboard is much less convenient than knobs. Of course, using contesting
software does involve the PC, but even in that situation I want my knobs.
Controlling the rig from a PC repulses me even more so lately, since Microsoft
is forcing software updates on us ever more frequently. Very disruptive. I do
understand that increased vulnerabilities demand it, but then the
vulnerabilities are caused by Microsoft itself, always adding functionality
without concern for security (except for Microsoft job security). Some will say
that Linux is the answer but I have been there, and I would prefer a special
version of Windows that removes a lot of bells and whistles and doesn't need
frequent updates. Has anyone investigated which ham software products work or
don't work with Windows set to protected mode?

On the subject of panadapter features, I can see some utility in using a mouse,
as pushing the P3 knob does indeed tend to move the whole box. However, unless
there is software based automatic fine tuning, I find that mouse clicking on a
signal usually requires fine adjustment with the tuning knob. The advantage of
the mouse then is the ability to make large jumps without a lot of knob
spinning. That need is sharply reduced by using the RIT knob as a coarse tuning
knob.

Perhaps the K4 packaging should place most of the P3 electronics as an optional
plug-in board inside the radio, and place a slightly bigger display in a
separate, P3-size box. The P3 controls would be on the radio. The existing
controls for the second rx could be kept for those who can stomach them, but a
new button on the radio would switch the P3 display to show all aspects of
second rx settings, and allow adjustment. Another press of the new button, or a
number of actions such as moving the main tuning knob, would go back to normal
P3 display.

73,
Erik K7TV