Bill:
Thanks for your input. I did EEINIT yesterday and reloaded all SW. No
change.

Today, I did EEINIT again and fooled around with the radio in its native
state, changing modes, etc.
Then reloaded saved configuration and for no particular reason, did a BSET.
Then did a SSB +CW selection. Lo and behold, the CW behavior is what I would
expect and same as in basic CW mode.
No overshoot and power change is smooth with no jumps. On CW key press,
power starts out slightly low and builds to the set value.

I suspect there is a bug in the code somewhere. Experience says there is
probably an
uninitialized variable lurking in the ALC code. **Elecraft SW developers note.**
It will be interesting to see if this good behavior sticks.

BTW, Albuquerque is my old, old stomping ground. BSEE from UNM in 1967.

73,
Dan AC6DM