      From: Wayne Burdick <n...@elecraft.com>
 To: Mike Parkes <mspma...@gmail.com>
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
 Sent: Sunday, June 3, 2018 10:15 AM
 Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Intermod filter for the KX3

Mike,

What you’re describing sounds like noise that is in-band and would be
debilitating for any radio. Not intermod. But just to be sure, set MENU:RX SHFT
to 8.0 and turn off the noise blanker. This is the most resilient setup if you
have monster signals actually causing IMD.

Also try turning off the preamp.

If the above steps don’t help, you could simply have a case of very high noise
floor. Here are a few more things you can try:

1. Use very narrow filter bandwidths. In CW mode, use the APF feature (audio
peaking filter).

2. Move the antenna farther from identified noise sources.

3. Try a magnetic loop. These are very narrow banded, and may have directional
characteristics you can make use of.

If all else fails, try taking your KX3 portable as an experiment. A location
far from massive noise sources can be a breath of fresh air, both
atmospherically and ion-ically. It’s not a long-term solution unless, like me,
you discover that field operation is a blast. But it’ll give you some
perspective about your noise at home.

73,
Wayne
N6KR