      From: "wb4...@knology.net" <wb4...@knology.net>
 To: AB4IQ <ab...@comcast.net>; "'Joe Subich, W4TV'" <li...@subich.com>;
'Elecraft' <Elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
 Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 2:52 PM
 Subject: Re: [Elecraft] A/C "Soft Start" ...

Not "soft-start", but....

We have a Generac 20kW air-cooled generator at our house, that works
wonderfully!  IIRC, anything larger is water-cooled.  Our house has two,
200amp breaker panels.  We have three A/C units, an induction cooktop,
ovens, dryer, and other goodies.  When I started looking for a whole-house
generator, almost every electrical contractor/company told me that I needed
a 37kW, water-cooled generator, which has a small car engine for a motor.
Generac even told them to tell me that's what needed for the loading and
wiring in my house.

I had done some research, and found that Generac sold a system that works
with their ATS, called Nexus (or Nexys, or similar spelling).  It includes
"smart switches" that go in series with each heavy load device, such that
the ATS can control those switches to turn on/of various loads, depending on
what's running at any given time.  There was only one electrical company
here in Charleston, SC, that even knew about this system, they had just
taken a course on it.  Needless to say, they got my business.

We've been through both summer and winter storm outages, up to about 24
hours, and the whole system works great!  It does "stage" the air
conditioners, depending on the load.  The cost is higher, but I did NOT want
a water-cooled car engine running on the side of my house.

I've also switched to Rennai water heaters to get rid of constantly heating
water for occasional use.  We do have natural gas at the house, so the
generator runs on that.  We were going to get a gas cooktop, but during the
kitchen remodel, we found the induction cooktop is as fast or faster than
gas, and keeps the cooktop very clean.  We can cook stuff with a layer of
butcher paper between the cooktop and the pan.  Highly recommended.
73, Terry, N4TLF