      From: Bob McGraw K4TAX <rmcg...@blomand.net>
 To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
 Sent: Friday, July 27, 2018 1:10 PM
 Subject: Re: [Elecraft] [K3] SWR - Numerical Indication

Yes, the K3S SWR display can show a 1.0:1 value.  But in my case,  it
does not exactly agree with another instrument in the feed line system.
     As to why you are showing two different values, as minute as they
are I might add, you are measuring 2 different places in the feed line.
   In my thinking, it is physically impossible to put two  SWR bridges
in the same place electrically.

In theory the SWR on a given line should be the same at all places, but
maybe not since there is loss of some minute value in the line.
Since you are measuring on antennas, common mode current, may be the
contributing cause.  Difference in measurement calibration, may be a
factor as well.

VSWR bridges are calibrated with some specific value of load. Ideally,
it is 50 ohm non-reactive, but it could be 49 ohms or 51 ohms or some
other value.   Just because a load says "50 ohms" on the label is no
real indication that is actually fact.    To that end, I have 3 dummy
loads which are "50 ohm" loads according to the label but none are not
true 50 ohm loads.    I do have a Celwave load that says 50.5 ohms on
the label and measures 50.5 ohms per my General Radio bridge.    The
others are +/- something, but good enough to evaluate a ham transmitter
or amplifier.

Frankly, a difference between 1.1:1 and 1.0:1 won't make any realistic
difference in any form or fashion other than to appease the operator.

73

Bob, K4TAX

Message delivered to farrerfo...@yahoo.com