Personal note....

Ever since I home-brewed my first receiver when I was 15, I've used WWV at
multiple frequencies as a source of reliable on-air test signals.

My early receivers used simple direct-conversion schemes based on JFETs
(remember the MPF102?). Get the details wrong, and you'd hear WWV whether you
were tuned to it or not, thanks to what I now know was IP2 (AM breakthrough).
Do it right, and you'd be rewarded with those undulating time-tones:
minimalist, almost musical. Something Phillip Glass would pipe into his
sensory-deprevation tank. Oh, and you could set your watch to it.

These days I still tune into WWV to check VFO calibration, set clocks in the
field, and get an approximation of the MUF (Maximum usable frequency). When
propagation is good, even the 20.000000 MHz signal soars across the aether, a
faithful and tireless chronological savant.

Losing it would be a tragedy, but a nerdy one, not Greek.

Wayne
N6KR