Hi Roger,

I spent most of my 4-year USCG career on LORAN-C related activities. 6 months
ET school at Governor's Island, a year at the monitor station in Bermuda (yeah,
that was tough) and finally two years at the engineering center in Wildwood, NJ
(even tougher :)

I really despised the resolver/servo-driven LORAN receivers. But I did love the
HP9825 "calculator" that the lieutenant installed early in my stay at Bermuda.
This thing calibrated the entire U.S. east coast LORAN-C chain, entering phase
corrections for atmospheric distortion automatically, replacing manual methods.

Of course the '9825 was too cool to be left to this menial task. So every night
when I was on mid watch, I would stop the silly LORAN program, teach myself
HPL, then write my own programs. I made the phase corrections manually at such
times.

The lieutenant returned a few months later and was not pleased to see the
apparent failure of his software. But meanwhile I'd become the local expert on
the '9825, called upon to fix it when it broke, so he forgave me. He also
recommended my transfer to the Wildwood engineering center at the end of my
Bermuda year, which was an excellent result because one usually got rotated to
the Aleutian Islands after being at a desired station.... Wildwood was great,
too. Lots of fun R&D by day, partying by night.

By the way, this is ridiculously OT. My apologies in advance to Eric, who will
now shut me down :)

Wayne