Having operated pedestrian mobile many times, I’d like to offer a few
suggestions for those new to the use of short whips (like the AX1). These and
other tips appear in the AX1 manual.

* Elevate the antenna whenever possible. For example, if you’re using a KX2,
HT-style, your transmitted signal will almost always be stronger if you’re
standing rather than sitting on the ground. (Exception: sitting on the edge of
a cliff is probably just as good as standing. Don’t do anything risky :)

* Initially, try to find strong stations to call (S7 or higher), especially
when using SSB. High signal strength at your end is often indicative of good
propagation and/or that the station is using a gain antenna.

* Try the higher-frequency bands first. 17 meters in particular is an
outstanding QRP band. When I call strong stations on this band using 10 W SSB
and the AX1, my success rate is something like 80%.

* ALWAYS use a counterpoise wire (one is supplied with the AX1). Otherwise your
transmitted signal will be down as much as 20 dB.

* If you use the AX1 with the AXT1 tripod adapter, use a short length of coax,
especially on 17 and 15 m were the rig’s ATU is required to achieve resonance.

Happy hiking—

Wayne
N6KR

----