Q: What length of coax should I use with the AXT1 tripod adapter?

A: If the whip is close to resonance, which will usually be the case on 20
meters, coax losses should be fairly small even with longer runs, say up to 15
feet. When using the AX1 on 17 and 15 meters where an ATU is required, use 3
feet or less to avoid significant feed point loss. A tripod can be set up very
close to the operating position at low power levels, so this requirement can be
easily met.

* * *

Q: Is the AX1 being used by SOTA operators?

A: Yes. But that the AX1 is primarily intended for pedestrian mobile, rapid
deployment, and as a backup to full size antennas. A longer/higher antenna
should be used if supports are available and time permits. I always bring wire
to toss into a tree, but my emphasis is on quickly moving from one spot to the
next -- literally walking while operating at times -- making the AX1
indispensable.

* * *

Q: Should I call CQ using the AX1 at QRP power levels?

A: If stations are looking for you, as in SOTA operation, sure. But generally
at QRP levels with any kind of portable antenna it's more productive to call
other stations, with emphasis on trying strong stations first. Strong stations
are usually correlated with good propagation, and/or great antennas at their
end, which benefits both ends of the QSO.

* * *

73,
Wayne
N6KR