Hi Dennis,

You're missing the charge controller. Li-Ion batteries are very fussy about the way they are charged. While it would be more efficient to run the charger directly on 12 Volts, such a charger for the Elecraft batteries is not available, as far as I know. Even if it were, it would probably cost more than the inverter. The inverter, of course, also has other uses.

Elecraft also makes it very clear that their batteries shouldn't be charged with any other charger, and there are good reasons for that.

73,
Scott K9MA