I will verify that this works exactly as Don relates.  You must "train" it by transmitting in every segment for each band/antenna combo you have, but once trained, it's solid. The segments are small on 160 and 80 [10 KHz? I don't remember, someone on the list probably knows], and get larger as you go up in frequency becoming 100 KHz or so at 10 m and maybe twice that on 6.  With the KAT500 in AUTO, tune to the center of each segment, and press ATU TUNE if you have a K3, or just transmit if you are using a non-Elecraft transceiver.  It takes anywhere from 20 - 25 or so watts to tune.

Once you have hit every segment with every antenna that works on that segment, switch to MAN and leave it there.  The KAT500 utility will let you specify which of the 3 antennas are usable on each band and won't put others in the antenna selection cycle.  To switch antennas, just tap the button to get the desired antenna. The selection of tuning parameters is as fast as it takes for the relays to close when you first transmit.  It worked fine for me when I still had my KAT500 on CW, SSB, and RTTY.  IMI: Operate in MAN, not AUTO.

If you have a K3/K3s and the cable between them installed and the KAT500 connected, the tuner will follow your receive QRG, selecting the correct parameters as you tune, but the RF sense is nearly instantaneous without the cable or a K3/K3s.  IMI: Operate in MAN, not AUTO.  Every time someone has asked me to help them, and despite the "Operate in MAN, not AUTO" advice from this list and others, I get there and find they're operating in AUTO.

73,
Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County