Hello Ken, K0PP

I was first introduced to the G5RV in Malaya in 1963 ~ with a copy of the G5RV article [from the RSGB Bulletin] loaned to me by 9M2DQ.  Jim Pershouse was a /rubber-tree estate manager, and avid DX'er/; he had me up on one weekend at his Langkawi Island estate.

The way I read Varney's article as I recall it was primarily designed for 20M; but it worked on the other bands also, and we used it on 40M extensively ~ sometimes with an ATU, most often not.   As I was the Editor of the MARTS NEWSLETTER at the time, I got permission to "reproduce it" in the national newsletter in 1964.  It became a very popular antenna in that region of South East Asia.  I yet have fond memories of my teaching time in a Trade School; as a Peace Corps Volunteer (1962-64) and operating as 9M2JJ.

Since returning stateside in April, 1965 I have used it, and recommended it, to many a ham as a general purpose antenna. Simple to construct: as a dipole, 51 feet each side of center, with 32 feet of 300-Ohm twin-lead and then 68 feet of coax. It didn't seem to matter much if one used 52-Ohm or 73-Ohm coax.  :-)

Cheers, Jan K1ND