Hi John

Interesting story, but without someone from Elecraft jumping in, we are
just guessing.

I suspect it went like this, as I have some experience with online stores.

You placed your order, and the funds show on your credit card as you
ordered.

What you can't tell if the funds are on hold or not.  Those funds may not
have been captured (transferred to their bank).  A hold can last about 3
days before it expires.

If you called your credit card company and they said the funds were
captured, then I guess they were.   The capture is a manual process.  Maybe
they did, maybe they didn't.  But, what is key is the vendor (Elecraft)
takes ALL the risk on a credit card order.   It is easy for you to contest
a sale and the first thing the Bank does is go steal the money back out of
the Vendor's account.  I have seen this happen up to 8 weeks after a sale
to several of my friends who run small hobby businesses.  It is so bad,
they are going to shut down their small online business due to this type of
fraud.

So, next you call and say cancel.  What happened is they likely  jumped
through hoops to save your order and not lose a customer.   Parts missing
could be as simple as a knob or a washer.   Maybe they run over to
HomeDepot. :)

I doubt your order was lost but I do believe the delay was valid.  This is
normal for companies like Elecraft as they build to sales demands.

Elecraft is a very awesome  company and run by some wonderful people.
There is no doubt in my mind they were not trying to scam you or pull the
wool over your eyes.

I have had my share of Credit Card horror stories as I order a lot online.
I have yet to loose a single penny out of my own pocket in 30 years.  In
the 2 times I have issues, Visa quickly refunded my money without
question.

Like I said, it is the vendor that takes all the risk, not the buyer.

Mike va3mw