As time permits, we're trying to better characterize the RF noise that plagues
stations at various locations.

So far, data collected during this informal survey has taken the form of verbal
descriptions. Scope traces or digitized samples would be much more helpful,
since they'd show the actual waveforms. We could then look at how to better
suppress the noise profiles, pulse widths, and rep rates encountered by
stations surrounded by modern appliances, vehicles, peripherals, lighting, etc.
Many of these didn't exist decades ago when the first noise blankers were
designed.

On a K3 or K3S, the best place to capture noise signals would be at the output
of the first MC1350 in the KNB3's amplifier chain. In the presence of strong
noise, the signal at this point is likely to produce a visible scope trace, or
a good sample using an RF digitizer. The latter would have to do a good job at
the IF, 8.215 MHz.

On a KX3, the RX IQ outputs should work, assuming the noise signal is quite
strong. As the RX IQ signal occurs at base band, a much lower-bandwidth scope
or an audio-class A-to-D converter would suffice.

Spectral data would also be of use in both cases.

I don't have any specific recommendations for equipment or software. But if you
have the means in hand, as well as a noise problem worth capturing, feel free
to contact me directly. Please include photos or screen captures as well as
details on what remediation techniques work -- and don't.

73,
Wayne
N6KR