If you're a new owner of a K3, K3S, KX3 or KX2 -- or if, like most of us, you
never quite made it all the way through the owner's manual -- you might not
have tried our FSK-D mode. This is one of our favorite features. It gives you
an amazingly simple way to dabble in amateur radio's original yet still
actively used data mode: RTTY. As embodied in our FSK-D mode, RTTY has two
major advantages over FT8, JT9, and similar computer-mediated modes...but first
some background.

* * *

RTTY (radio teletype) has a long, colorful history. The basic encoding and
transmission methods were invented in the 1800s, and were later used by
wireline news services as well as for wartime comms. It has been in use by hams
since around the end of WWII, who took advantage of surplus military
teleprinters. For more on this, see:

   en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioteletype#Early_amateur_radioteletype_history

As a teenager in the 1970s I had a Teletype Corp Model 15. This page shows some
examples of what this beast looked like:

   http://www.baudot.net/teletype/M15.htm

In my shack, the Model 15 and all of its associated paraphernalia took up most
of a workbench. It made a huge racket and consumed reams of paper, not to
mention oil. Sadly, I never did get everything working properly and never made
an QSO with it. Yet my fascination with RTTY continued.

When we designed the K3, my interest was rekindled, and we endowed it with the
ability to decode and encode 45-baud RTTY signals. The DSP handled
demodulation, while the MCU assembled character bit streams. (We later added
75-baud RTTY as well as PSK31 and PSK63 modes.)

Lyle Johnson (KK7P) and I had quite a bit of fun when we first got decode
working. Speaking strictly for both of us, tuning around between 14.080 and
14.100 during an RTTY contest was like being a teenager all over again. We
quickly added the ability to transmit in this mode using the CW keyer paddle
and message memories. The upshot is that I finally had my first RTTY QSO, doing
it the hard way -- writing a good chunk of the firmware that made it possible.

Here's the importing thing: our K-Line/KX-Line implementation of RTTY makes it
incredibly simple to use. It's nearly foolproof. The setup details vary a bit
among the rigs, but basically you select DATA mode, then FSK-D sub-mode, and
turn text decode on. Then just tune around in the RTTY band segments until you
see signals start to decode.

If you're a CW op, you can immediately transmit in RTTY mode by simply sending
CW. If not, you can connect a netbook or laptop to your rig (via a USB port),
then use the Terminal window in K3/KX3/KX2 Utility along with the keyboard. The
Utility for each rig includes instructions for using the Terminal window.

* * *

Earlier I claimed that RTTY operation using our FSK-D mode has some advantages
over FT8, etc. Here they are:

1. You don't necessarily need a computer. Decoded and encoded text scrolls
across the radio's display. At your home station, this is great for simply
tuning around casually; no need to turn on the computer or set up software
applications. It's an even bigger advantage for field operation. With the KX3
or KX2, you can use RTTY (or PSK31/63) from essentially anywhere, even
operating hand-held. During Field Day and RTTY contests, I make a point of
taking a hike and making a few RTTY Q's pedestrian mobile (/PM). When a band is
open, you can work the world in these modes. (For some of us, it doesn't get
much better than this :)

2. Our FSK-D and PSK-D modes are *conversational*, with no restrictions on what
you can send, no software delays or time synchronization, no predetermined
frequencies, and a natural style of interaction as with CW or SSB. The receiver
is automatically configured for a narrow passband, so you simply tune in a
signal until you start seeing decoded text -- often a CQ -- then respond with
the keyer paddle, or with the keyboard on your netbook/laptop, if applicable.

As you can see, we've come a long way from the Model 15, paper, oil, noise, and
complex terminal hardware. In addition to using the display on the rig itself,
our panadapters can be used. Text can be displayed on our P3-SVGA display, as
well as on the PX3. A keyboard can be connected to either the P3 or PX3.

Next time you're listening on 20 meters, the most popular band for RTTY, take a
quick spin above 14.080. If you hear some of those magical tones, turn on FSK-D
mode and give this mode a try.

Many DXpeditions have an RTTY station operating during some periods, so you'll
often hear RTTY ops making DX contacts. In general, RTTY DX stations are
quickly "spotted" when they pop up, so mini-pileups can form at any time.

There are also a number of RTTY contests, in addition to stations operating in
RTTY mode during Field Day, etc. For a calendar of events, see:

    https://www.rttycontesting.com/records/

If the contest exchange is simple (non-serialized), you can probably operate
entirely using the message memories. On the KX2, CW and data-mode contacts can
also be logged using the rig's built-in logging function, then uploaded to a
computer when you get home.

73,
Wayne
N6KR