From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net> On
Behalf Of Richard Ferch
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2019 4:06 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3/K3s filter setting with the K3 Utility

Earlier I gave an example of a situation where you might choose to enable a
roofing filter at a bandwidth wider than the bandwidth marked on the filter.
I also gave a poor example of enabling a filter at a narrower bandwidth.
Here is a better one:

You use a variety of digital modes with different bandwidths, one of which
happens to be the same as or close to the bandwidth of one of your roofing
filters. You find that when that roofing filter is engaged, that particular
digital mode does not decode as well as it does with a wider filter setting.
You might find that changing the configuration to switch that filter in at a
narrower setting allows that particular mode to decode well, without having
a noticeable adverse effect on the next narrower bandwidth mode you normally
use. The likelihood of all this happening in combination with an actual need
for a tight roofing filter because of nearby very strong signals might be
quite low, but there is at least a theoretical possibility of such a
scenario. There are probably more likely situations - just pointing out that
it is not impossible that someone might want to do this. The good thing is,
the capability is there if you somehow find that you need it.

73,
Rich VE3KI