Antennas are always a fascinating and debatable subject. My 2 cents on the Mag
loops is that they can be a useful addition in the right circumstance if you
spend the time to learn how to use them properly. I do a lot of SOTA and
portable work and I find the loop is often a good solution for a quick setup
especially if you need a low profile or don’t have good support options for
wires. I prefer a resonant dipole if possible,or an end fed with
counterpoise,but the loop can be effective where that’s the best option. The
trick is to get it at least 6-8 feet high and far enough away from any metal
structure,and a reasonable distance from you the operator! They can be finicky
to tune and you can’t move easily more than 10 kHz without retuning. Since I’m
usually just on SOTA frequencies or QRP it’s not an issue. CW is really the
best mode as you’re limited in power to usually 10-20 W by the loop. You must
pay close attention to construction also-I personally found the W4OP loop to be
of superior quality compared to others. Dale W4OP is an active ham who takes
pride in his product (not unlike Wayne and Eric!). They are kinda spendy but
you get a very well made unit plus excellent customer support. They’re a bit
bulkier than others but will cover more bands effectively,including 40 and 60
(and 6) meters than other brands . I use a collapsible photo light tripod to
mount mine-if you use a tripod you should order the tripod adapter as well.
They now offer a remote tuning option which the late Joe Everhart N2CX reviewed
recently in QST. Dale W4OP  also is active on the Mag loop reflector and will
offer excellent advice on home brewing loops should you want to try that.
Before you buy one try to borrow one and do some research to see if it’s the
right fit for you. Lots of options for antennas.

Dan Presley 503-701-3871
danpresley@me. com
n7...@arrl.net