Its a skill that one needs time and practise to master. I used to run a home business building smd kits for others after a career as a component level technician where I did smd repairs. But the last generation of MOT intrinsically safe radios required a $10,000 school and a dedicated repair station to be qualified by MOT to do repair work. MOT instituted a flat-rate repair service for about $150 per radio which turned me into a troubleshooter and shipping dept. I retired a few years after that.

I bought a Haako FX-951 repair station for that business and used a lighted magnifier.

SMD assembly is much faster/cheaper and can be automated on a production line with better reliability than human-built. That's why todays tech does system troubleshooting to the board level and then board replacement. New boards are cheaper than paying the tech to repair them. Most commercial radio shops charge $100-$125/hour for servicing. Another ten years and there will no longer be component level techs.

Very hard for a small business to compete using a human production line of solderers. Probably only find a small line to build pre-production units for testing/re-engineering.

There probably aren?t more than a handful of folks who could actually build an SMD kit of any size without having to send it back to Elecraft to be built or to fix the mess.

Grant NQ5T
K3 #2091 KX3 #8342

73, Ed - KL7UW
  http://www.kl7uw.com