On 6/9/2019 23:16, Bert wrote:
How would a switched PS take out a radio?

Bert VE3NR

Most likely due to overvoltage. Linear supplies are particularly susceptible, as the series pass transistor is under stress and can short. Switching supplies can fail if the voltage feedback loop somehow opens up. I've not heard of it happening, but all it would take would be one failed resistor or solder joint. I use a switching supply for my K3, but I built an external overvoltage protector. Of course, the supply has never failed.

BTW, I've found that the fan noise from the Samlex SEC-1235 is never audible above the K3 fans, except during long periods of receive, when the low speed supply fan is just barely audible. (I did the mod, so the supply fan runs at low speed all the time.) If I transmit long enough for the supply fan to switch to full speed, the K3 fans are already running fast enough to drown it out. Not to mention those in the KPA-1500.

I'm very happy with the Samlex supply. I've never detected a trace of RFI from it.

73,

Scott K9MA

--
Scott  K9MA