Just wanted to pass along my first impressions of the AX1 on a recent SOTA
activation. I picked up the antenna at the Seapac hamfest in Oregon last
week,and then a group of us hams were headed to a SOTA site this last Sunday in
the Oregon cascade range. We went to Clear Lake Butte not far from Mt Hood to a
fire lookout tower site. A 2 mile hike up a pretty steep road but we made it. I
set up my KX2 and the AX1 on a picnic table and spread out 3 13 foot radials.
It tuned right down to 1:1
on 20 and in very short order I had 15 contacts from North Carolina to
Texas,Arizona,Colorado,Missouri and some west coast guys. Running 5 W cw,and
then switched to 17 M for a few more coast to coast Q’s. Of course we had a
4500 foot elevation and practically no noise but still it performed very well.
Of course the tiny size is a plus when you’re backpacking up a steep grade!
Wayne and Eric have another winner on their hands. Thanks guys!

Dan Presley 503-701-3871
danpresley@me. com
n7...@arrl.net