I think you misread the situation.  The question isn't whether to put a single antenna tuner between the antenna and filter versus putting it between the rig and the filter.  The question is whether putting an ADDITIONAL tuner (the one internal to the K3) at the input of the filter is a good idea.  And to me it seems the answer is yes.

I think we all agree that the right feed impedance and load impedance for a filter is important.  And as I pointed out, not just for power handling, but also for the filter to actually filter as it was intended.

73,
Dave   AB7E