To anyone who was following this thread, I have had the following response
from the support team at Elecraft:

Hello Peter,

Doug is out on vacation right now.  However, I talked to our K3 technician
here and we do not know of a way to send macros to a P3 from a K-Pod.  The
K-Pod plays back existing macros on a K3, and even without using a K-Pod, I
cannot use P3 macros on a K3 and have them get sent to the P3.  The K3
interprets them as K3 macros, which are often invalid for the K3.  The
reason it would work from the utility would be because the utility is
sending the macros over the serial connection, which is shared between the
K3 and the P3, so the P3 acts on the macros when it sees them.  I hope that
helps.

Rob
Elecraft Customer Support

--