Totally aside from the power meter issue, what you are doing with the ATU is like loading a tube amplifier more lightly with the PI network. Lighter loading will improve efficiency, but may result in more distortion. One reason solid state amplifiers are generally less efficient than tube amplifiers is that transistors (including FET's) become extremely nonlinear when they are driven close to saturation. That is, when the voltage across the device is near zero at the bottom of the cycle. As a result, solid state amplifiers have to be loaded more "heavily", to keep the transistors far from saturation. This, of course, results in more dissipation.

I haven't tried it, but it's possible the KPA1500 could be loaded more lightly by manually adjusting the ATU values to improve efficiency on CW or RTTY, where linearity isn't a big issue. That might reduce PA temperature a little, though I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble. Given how sensitive the KPA1500 is to small changes in SWR, though, setting this up across a band would be a tedious process.

The rather large variations in PA current I see at 1500 W output at a moderate SWR, like 1.3:1, is probably due to the same effect. (A 1.3:1 SWR could be a load impedance of anything from 39 to 65 Ohms.)

73,
Scott K9MA