I guess they were used a many military sites. In 1984 I helped install a 250w commercial VHF link from top of Mt. Balleyhoo (above Dutch Harbor in the Aleutians) and there was the remains of many 90 foot wooden poles arrayed up in a valley on the side of the mountain that was used by the military in WWII. I would guess they held rhombic arrays as the poles were in lines with total length probably 1000-foot.

Dutch Harbor was attacked by Japan in WWII but did not fall to the Japanese like Attu and Kiska Islands did. The campaigns often referred to as the "Forgotten War". Only US territory occupied by enemy forces since the war of 1812.

There were abandoned concrete gun emplacements on the cliffs on top of the mountain - interesting to explore and look out of thinking how it was in 1942.

73, Ed - KL7UW
  http://www.kl7uw.com
Dubus-NA Business mail:
dubus...@gmail.com