Based on my experience, the KPA1500 is very sensitive to small changes in load impedance (SWR) with respect to power gain and current. The ATU software is much better than it started out, but still sometimes doesn't get below 1.2:1. That could result in the kind of power gain variation Pete is seeing.

73,
Scott K9MA