Of course Alaska doesn't count as most companies don't consider Alaska as part of the USA (eg free shipping except AK/HI).

Back in 2012, I worked for Wallmart and we had many angry cell phone customers who bought phones in the lower-48 and were assured they worked in AK. They were given Verizon (which had just started service in Anchorage & no where else in AK). They have expanded service, now. But do not expect cell service off the road system (75% of AK).

On our trips driving out the Alaska Hwy thru Canada we had no service anywhere in the Yukon or northern parts of BC or AB. Only got service when we were within 200-miles of the US border (using Rogers cell service that apparently partnered with AT&T).

Fortunately we had our KX3 + KXPA100 in the mobile (no worries), plus in the Yukon there is linked repeaters on 146.52 covering most of the hwy.

73, Ed - KL7UW
  http://www.kl7uw.com
Dubus-NA Business mail:
dubus...@gmail.com