One thing that may confuse things is that the frequency counter has only 8 kHz (?) resolution, and it takes priority over data from the radio. I'm unsure about this, as my KPA1500 doesn't often seem to change ATU setting when start transmitting. It is possible, though, that the low resolution counter thinks the frequency is in an adjacent bin.

If it were up to me, I would not allow the counter to have priority unless the frequency difference is at least several bin's worth. That way, transmission wouldn't be needlessly interrupted because of the low counter resolution, but the amp would still be protected against erroneous data from the radio. But Dick probably has more important things to worry about.

73,
Scott K9MA