Bob,

Already see this in recent hams joining our local ham club. Most are 40-60, in their later working years or recently retired, kids have left home and time & money available for pursuit of hobbies. My finances did no turn around until age 50 to enable serious ham radio purchases. I was 54 when I built my first eme station. OK enough reminiscing.

Note to Wayne & Eric that an inexpensive entry level transceiver might find market with newcomers on tight budgets (eg the K1, etc.); something other than a VHF HT. KX2/KX3 are still a bit much for the college student or newly graduated worker.

73, Ed - KL7UW

Today it my feeling those getting into ham radio will not be the youth of today, but will be those retired and looking to continue their professional associations. Plus they can somewhat afford to invest the money that we youth didn?t have 60 years ago. And today?s youth won?t have the available financial resources. They have a family to raise, a house to buy, a vehicle to pay for and an internet and cell phone bill each month, along with a few credit cards and student loans.

Today?s new hams will be the youth of several years back.

73
Bob, K4TAX

73, Ed - KL7UW
  http://www.kl7uw.com