I agree the field testing is a very important step for both the rig and the manual.
A step that should take as long as it takes...
Software bugs are one thing but finding hardware issues are better found before the  product starts shipping mode. I am sure I am at the end of the shipping list, so I hope to see the manual (on line) long before I see the rig...

I don't remember the kickoff of the KX3.
I didn't purchase mine until ~1+ year after shipping started.
I wanted to be sure all was OK...
This time, why wait.
I was thinking about a K3s last year but "something" put me off ordering.
I am glad I waited as all the "options" are included and I can add "stuff" like the upgrade to K4D etc.
Can "anyone" say Christmas 2020?

I am amused by the creative financing method used by Elecraft. (smart)
Where else would you find "investors" loan the operating capital at zero interest for almost a year and to have only ever seen? serial 001 of the product. You will also note the "1st Shipping Group" is still open for orders (the real capital). And "and are targeting our first deliveries for January 2020." has deliveries (plural) so, at least 2 K4's will be delivered by Jan 31st... Waiting... as long as it isn't "Christmas in July"...  on the other-hand, I might be able to convince my wife to upgrade to a K4D, by then.

73, steve WB3LGC