In my current station layout the rack-mounted Astron-50M is separated from the radio shelf, so I need a 15-foot run of cable. The Astron runs 14.2 vdc. I have 13.69 v at the main power strip (handles 10ga wiring). The primary dc power cable is No. 6 welding cable (more flexible than std No. 6) so I have a BUSS30 fuse at the main power strip. The Astron is capable of 50 amps if the main cable were to short (cable is rated for a over 200A for welding).

I use the std power cord that came with my K3/10 and see 13.3v displayed by the K3 in transmit with 10w RF output. The K3/10 does not draw a lot of current. I drive a KXPA100 which has 5-foot Elecraft power cable (looks like No.12). I get 100w on all bands with about 5w drive (only 6m requires 8w drive for 80w output).

I have not measured the voltage at the power-pole connector when in transmit but should be approx 13.5v based on current draw of 20 A.

I run several high power solid-state amplifiers that draw up to 50A at 50v so paying attention to dc voltage drop in dc wiring is quite important.

73, Ed - KL7UW
  http://www.kl7uw.com
Dubus-NA Business mail:
dubus...@gmail.com