Walter,

Someone did comment (maybe a different thread/group) about reading Scouter and Boys Life at the barber shop and noted that ARRL has NO ads about radio in the mags.  He or someone else noted that SWL mags have no ARRL ads, either...

I think ARRL has "missed the boat"...

ARRL has flyers for DIY, but no "push" to the youth to go along with it.

Radio Merit Badge does at least provide a sample of ham radio...

73/YIS, Steve WB3LGC

Interesting that nobody has yet mentioned Scouting and Jamboree on the Air
(JOTA).

Here is an article about a troop using amateur radio to coordinate dispersed
camping groups and train for em-comm.

https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2019/12/24/assistant-scoutmasters-help-scouts-get-trained-to-be-amateur-radio-operators/

A troop in our area uses radios to allow groups of older youth to hike in
separate groups. The fast group (always the youth, oddly) checks in every 15
minutes. If they can’t make contact, they stop until they can. With a license,
they can switch from FRS/GMRS to amateur bands and hike with a bigger gap.

JOTA is on the third full weekend of October every year. This year, we had over
9000 Scouts participate in the US.

https://k2bsa.net/jota-usa-reports/

 From running a JOTA station a couple of times, I believe that prospective hams
have just as wide a range of interests as active hams. We need a shotgun
approach with each pellet (metaphor falling apart here) being someone who is
excited about that activity. You don’t have to be an expert—I ran the “send
your name in Morse Code” station and I’m not a CW operator—but you do need to
represent how that activity could be exciting.

Hands on, do everything hands on. No butts in seats for PowerPoint. Anybody
ever say “I think I’ll go home and watch a nice PowerPoint preso tonight”?

Here are some photos from our JOTA station this year. I’m the guy with the
white hair. Oh, that doesn’t help. White hair and beard. Note the empty log
sheet in front of the KX-line. HF was pretty dead. Must do digital modes next
year.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/walter_underwood/albums/72157711437854946

wunder
K6WRU
Walter Underwood
Radio Scouting Chair, Pacific Skyline Council
http://observer.wunderwood.org/ (my blog)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/walterunderwood/