I'm not a high speed CW operator. Most of my operation was on 40m in my Novice year and a little on CW eme.

I found my self hearing complete words or character groups at about 10wpm. Examples: CQ, QRZ, SK, Name, RST, 73, QTH, and certain well known callsigns. Others that I can't recall at the moment. I usually operated eme at 15 wpm. Back in my early years I could send 20 wpm with a straight key. Never mastered a paddle.

When I get back on eme I probably will send with a keyboard since my hand dexterity has fallen off since loosing a finger on my right hand. Typing is also a challenge since missing a finger requires the backup finger to handle twice as many keys. On eme I have several common scrips saved to send at a press of a key. But receiving is still done by ear/mind.

73, Ed - KL7UW
  http://www.kl7uw.com
Dubus-NA Business mail:
dubus...@gmail.com