OK, I am most likely late to the discussion...

Yes, it would be nice to have all the software under the hood. But, I know I am going to need a computer for Fldigi, wsjt-x, and js8call. So I might as well add skimmer there (if I want it) too. I don't use skimmer now.  I like contests but I want a slower pace.  Beside at my QTH, just entering a contest almost guarantees first place (not quite, but almost).  I also like keeping my software up to date and by putting it "in the box" I will loose that control.  I "see" a USB connection to the computer a simple interface.  The LAN connection should provide even more capability (1G ??).

Since my shack computer will not be W10, I hope function software for the K4 will be Linux compatible (as it has been for K3's).  I moved from W10 to "windows" Mint in 2019 and haven't looked back. I have also been using a Raspberry Pi with my KX3 for wsjt-x as a remote station (remote to living room) and it works very well...

I wish all a Happy New Year (as tomorrow is "January"...)

73, steve WB3LGC

back to my research on a computer for the shack as my KX3 portable ops have been using a laptop and I want the K4 to be a fixed station.
I may continue with the Raspberry Pi, to begin, as it works...