I finally installed a single 50 W, 12 V solar panel on the roof for light
backup purposes -- phone/pad/laptop/flashlight charging, natural-power use of
the KX2/KX3, etc. Connecting the panel directly to automotive-style USB
chargers works great when the sun is shining.

My 15 year old thinks it's cool. He wants me to turn the mains breaker off for
a whole day so we can get the full off-grid experience :)

To facilitate that more rigorous purpose, I'd like to add a modest battery
pack, say 10 to 20 AH, that is charged by the PV panel without intervention.
The charger has to be compatible with simultaneous charge/discharge, i.e. we
may need charge USB devices at the same time the PV panel is charging the
battery. The battery voltage should be 11 to 12 V minimum after any controller
drops so it'll work with the radios.

I could cobble something together from several different vendors, but I'd
prefer to purchase system components that are already proven, reliable, and
reasonable in cost. Any recommendations?

tnx

Wayne
N6KR