As far as a vertical mounted on solid rock, ever heard of radials? Almost all analysis shows angle lowering by copious addition of radials to a vertical. I suggest You find the QEX articles written By Rudy-N6LF which studied radials thoroughly. Even with very short radials my 630m inverted-L gets out over 2500-miles (at times0.

Another antenna I discovered that I really liked is the Moxon. I has the gain of a two-element yagi but works well in almost all directions (point it toward your favorite direction). I ran a 6m moxon at 0.7 wavelength height in CO during a contest and worked all four borders of the lower 48 states using 150w. Worked quite well without turning it (pointed east).

At home I use an inverted-V with center at 40-foot and tails at 20-foot. Works out to 800 miles very well; works West Coast (3000-miles) from AK in BP40 with 100w.

73, Ed - KL7UW
  http://www.kl7uw.com
Dubus-NA Business mail:
dubus...@gmail.com