Bob:  My memory from 1956 is a bit thin, I was 16 then, but I don't remember RF inductors wound on "cores", unless you count a plastic coil form with a 5-pin base to be a "core."  Not sure ferrite had been invented.  [:-)  The Pi-network was a big deal then, those of us who couldn't afford the two capacitors used parallel resonant tanks with one capacitor with link coupling.  Interestingly, it did harmonic suppression and also matched whatever impedance was at the shack end of the feedline to the plate impedance of the PA.  I don't recall anyone talking about SWR.

73,
Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County