I agree with those who say just try it with TV cable connected, direct. Tuner will keep the transmitter happy. If you can cut the run to integrals of half wave that might be marginally better on Tx. Back before WWII hams never worried about SWR and just maxed RF current. Open-wire transmission line was popular (and low loss).

In 1980 I bought a TS-180S and a 4BTR with 80m coil-whip addition. I attached the base direct to the front bumper of my 4x4 and operated mobile with no radials or tuner. Heard Antarctica on 20m from Eagle, AK. Should have kept the antenna.

Sold the radio after losing the finals (driver still output 10w). Before my K3 the best radio I owned was a FT-840. I traded it for a FT-847 which was great on VHF/UHF but nowhere as good on HF (and part of the reason for getting the K3).

73, Ed - KL7UW
  http://www.kl7uw.com
Dubus-NA Business mail:
dubus...@gmail.com