Indeed!

Most eme'rs encounter this issue some point in their operation.

I started out on 144-MHz with only 100w on CW. Then began use of digital in 2003. But it was not until I started running above 800w in 2011 that I began to see preamp failure. I like my preamps to not see RF over 0 dBm (1mw) so that implies the need for 61.8 dB isolation if running 1500w. Initially I was using a coax relay with only 45-dB isolation. So I upgraded to better relays (spec > 80-dB). But there are two other paths for RF to reach the preamp: 1) thru the dc power leads (solved by using RG-58 for my power leads), 2) poor shielding in coax jumper from relay to preamp (solved by using double-shielded RG-142).

I also use a sequencer for controlling relay and amp transfer to transmit (to avoid hot-switching the relay).

These are probably good arguments for using the internal preamp in a K3S or PR6 at the K3. Internal TR switching protects them.

73, Ed

but the 6M antenna on which I would use it is within 10 ft of two
antennas with which I run legal limit, and I have concerns that it would
survive up there. :) My compromise is 7/8-in hard line for those
antennas, which minimizes the loss, and thus the advantage of a
mast-mounted preamp.

73, Jim K9YC

73, Ed - KL7UW
  http://www.kl7uw.com