Check the cable connections, including making sure that none of the pins are
bent in the AuxIO connectors in both cables (K3S - KAT500, KAT500 - KPA500).
Also, make sure that the PTT line is actually being asserted. The asterisk is
displayed when the Key In is asserted. If it isn’t displayed that means the KPA
is not seeing that input active. Also realize that when the KAT500 is in tune
mode it blocks the key line going to the KPA.

It is fairly common for someone to move something and the cable comes loose. Be
sure the screws are tightened down on the connectors and any adapters to avoid
this.

73!
Jack, W6FB