Loops are touchy by nature and you have to be very sensitive to the
surroundings-metals, bodies (yes your body in close proximity will affect
tuning).  I use a small antenna analyzer to get it close and sometimes I have
to adjust and step away from the antenna,take a reading and readjust  I then
follow up with adjustments with the radio connected for maximum band noise
Also it needs to be a minimum of one diameter of the loop above ground,and more
is better within reason. Is there a close ceiling that limits the height of the
loop? Getting it in the clear is important,although with patience I’ve made
contacts even indoors. Pick the bands carefully for propagation and as
mentioned earlier tune for resonance. I’m strictly a QRP CW guy (5W Max) and
have had good results by carefully adjusting to the surroundings and
conditions. I have 2 loops-the AlexLoop and the W4OP. AlexLoop is good for 20 M
and up while the W4OP is very efficient at 30,40 and 60 M. It’s very well made
and an excellent design,although not the best option for backpacking as it’s a
bit heavier.

Dan Presley 503-701-3871
danpresley@me. com
n7...@arrl.net