Ground loops can be another issue.
I was having a "feed back" issue with my KX3/KXPA100 ans solved it eliminating ground/power loops.

73, steve WB3LGC

On 6/1/20 8:25 AM, David Olean wrote:
Hello Peter

I suspect RFI as well. I do not have a KPA1500, so my advice is not worth much, but the fact that the fault only occurs when a signal is being radiated sends me a red flag.  I had a similar problem here with my SPE amplifier power output. I was measuring it on an LP-100A wattmeter.  It turns out that 1.8 MHz energy from the SPE amp radiated from my vertical antenna and  was getting into a new wire doublet antenna and coming back down the ladder line into the shack. The ladder line was about 7 inches from the power coupler for the LP-100A. RF caused the readings to go wacky and it looked like my amplifier was going postal!  The problem was high rf fields next to the power meter coupler.

Ferrite balun heating can be seen with a VSWR meter if you set the power at some intermediate level, key the amp up with a steady carrier, and watch for VSWR creeping up.  Loose pins in coax can also be a problem. They can heat up and disconnect or start arcing. Those problems do not typically show VSWR creep. They happen all at once usually.

The KPA1500 works fine into a dummy load. (No RFI)  That is a big clue.   Good luck and I hope you find the problem. Maybe an RF sniffer would detect the ingress point?

73

Dave K1WHS